***

A barrier-breaking generation gives context to contemporary female life.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tonight's the Night!

Why watch an All-Star baseball game (in which no one is trying very hard) when you can see a terrific film on the first female sportswriters, intrepid in their fight four decades ago for the same post-game access to players that their male competitors were granted.
 
ESPN's "Let Them Wear Towels" debuts tonight at 8 PM ET (repeat showings later tonight) It tells it like it is, or rather, was. The film is part of ESPN's "Nine for IX" series; nine films marking the 40th anniversary of Title IX.

You'll hear me tell the tale of my first foray into a locker room -- at the 1975 NHL All-Star Game in Montreal -- and how I heard someone in the crowd yell: "There's a girl in the locker room! There's a girl in the locker room! Hence the name of this blog.

I've been writing about issues of equity in this space since 2004. We were a pioneering, early adopters group of bloggers who made use of the only free blogging platform out there at the time -- offered by Salon.com. Some weeks my blog was even in the top ten for "hits" -- a statistic and accomplishment I was so proud of....til I realized half my viewers were coming to the blog hoping to find photos of girls undressing in locker rooms. Sorry.

I hope my current audience is more legit. 

For commentary on current working conditions for female sports journalists check my opinion piece on ESPN.com

No comments: